Saturday, September 25, 2021

Reclamation Project: Part 9 - The Last Piece, Tinkers' Construct

When I first started on this project, I had set out to analyze and 'reclaim' all of my past. I wanted to re-contextualize everything into the new framework I have, and try to understand how I could have spent so much time buried under myself desperately trying to dig myself out of a hole that could only be described as a garbage-fire that had been both given to me, and fueled by me. I set out to tear things apart, put them back together, and finally have a past that could have normal human emotions.

Nostalgia, anger, fear, and boredom. These are the emotions that I have gained in this time period. These are basic human emotions; any kind of experience that doesn't have these is missing a fundamental part of how the world works, and how people can operate.

There's a deep part of me that wants to continually take things apart and put them back together. It's the designer, the problem solver, and the incremental improver all trying to do something at the same time that really makes me tick.

There's only one thing left to reclaim. That is the greatest thing I have ever done: Tinkers' Construct.

I've spent a lot of time helping out with the design of the new version. It's everything that I had ever wanted to make in the past, at least as far as tools are concerned, but I still wanted to go through the mod and see what was still left to do.

Here's my conclusion:

Tinkers' Construct is a system for producing tools that can be created, maintained, and enhanced over the course of a game. These tools should be modular, personal, and grow alongside the player.

Tools are a means to an end. Building a castle, hunting creepers, and exploring a a world are fantastic experience that were held back by the limitations of the systems in the game they were built in.

The system was built to last across an infinite time scale. It can be adapted and reshaped, but works best in a long-term game.

The system itself is a module in a larger experience. It can be used to enhance each aspect of the game it's in. In the game it was in,the mod tied gameplay, exploration, and progression into a single unifying dynamic that was present from the very beginning.

The ultimate goal of the system is to move itself into the background so that the player can experience everything Minecraft has to offer, mods and base game alike.

If I were to begin again, I would build up a game with similar systems that span across everything, interweaving the progression of each one together in a way that feels intentional, purposeful, exciting, and focus on either dynamic, linear, or expansive gameplay.
It's fairly obvious that I've already started on this. Trying to build a modular human with a baseline that can be expanded into infinity isn't that much different from trying to build a modular tool. Building a modular world has a different set of assumptions, but I keep coming back to the idea that I can make things exciting by adjusting things on the fly. 

 This idea is pervasive; I really, really, really want to build a game that has modularity baked into its core, done on a level that demonstrates such a high level of skill and passion that I can enjoy the game so many times... well.

This is the last thing I am going to reclaim. I have studied enough, tore things apart, and designed enough things that my understanding has a baseline. I would say it's time to move on, but it looks like I've already done that.

Honestly, I can't be bothered to write up much more on this project. All of the interesting bits have been explored already, and working on new designs from my change in perspective is a lot more satisfying than dredging up the past and looking for things I missed. Some fundamental part of my motivation has changed. I believe that's for the best.

This project has served its purpose. It always had a kind of ticking clock built into it. I do very much want to build up new things based on old ideas, but I want to have things set up first.

There are things I want to come back to, but only when I'm ready. Today, it is time to build up the foundation of new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self Reflection, Avatar Reflection

It started as a joke. One day I decided that my game development was going poorly because I was too attached to my characters. If I messed a...